Sugary Rush: Chapter 1 LET'S GO BANANAS!!!
Welcome to my virtual kitchen you lovely people!!!
So how's millennial life treating you? I hope it is as lively and colorful as the festival of Holi we just celebrated.
I was brainstorming for days and nights and nights and days about what should be my first food post on my blog, and finally arrived to this recipe!
Yes we will move to the recipe but first some gupshup. What is food without a little conversation. RIGHT.
So today I want to share this theory. The funny thing is how I started this post with the mention of an Indian festival while recipe I will be sharing is a famous Chinese cuisine.
Theory of Cultural Exchanges
We all belong to different communities which are governed by certain beliefs, practices and traditions. There are certain practices which we may not believe into, certain traditions we want to explore more, some we end up questioning and some we enjoy practicing.
I would like to share one such cultural practice which has been an integral part of me growing up. The tradition of my maatu feeding me a spoonful of mixture of Dahi- Shakkar (Curd and Sugar) before I am about to do something important, super important, remotely important and also for things NOT SO IMPORTANT (She is my mother, if she has to feed me Dahi- Shakkar, she will find TRAZILLIONS reasons to feed me).
Talking about the first day of my school life, I was about to step dahleej of my house and here she was with spoonful of Dahi- Shakkar. Be it my exams, board exams, dance performances, interviews, picnics, she will always be there with Dahi- Shakkar. This mixture somehow is considered raison d' etre of auspiciousness in my house. Given her belief in the super- natural powers of this mixture, probability of she feeding me a spoonful of Dahi- Shakkar before I leave for my honeymoon is EMBARRASSINGLY HIGH!!!
Warning Note to my future husband: Whoever you are, Where ever you are. WE ARE IN THIS MESS TOGETHER!!!
There is also a tradition of eating something sweet after a complete meal in my family.
After sharing some bitter- sweet memories with this tradition, I decided why not start my first food post on a sweet note.
So what are we cooking today?
We are cooking BANANA TOFFEE!!!!!
Yeah! Who got fancier here!!! GUESS!!! GUESS!!!
So let's get started!
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Servings: 4 people
Let's look at the ingredients that will be required.
* You can also use corn flour instead of rice flour.
METHODOLOGY
1. Mix rice flour and all purpose flour in a bowl and add regular water to it. The consistency of this batter should be smooth and running.
2. Cut Bananas into small pieces. You can cut it into your fancy favorite shapes. I have cut them diagonally.
4. Put some oil in deep pan. The oil should be well heated before frying banana toffees. After oil is well heated, put those banana pieces in it and fry them till golden brown. The flame should be high while frying.
5. Take those toffees out on a napkin and remove excess oil. They will look something like this!!
![]() |
| Golden sweetness |
VERSION 1: Glazed in chocolate sauce
For this version, all you have to do is coat these toffees in chocolate sauce and put them in freezer.
* I would recommend using a melted chocolate instead of sauce because sauce does not solidify easily.
* I love the various iterations opportunities this recipe provides you. You can glaze them in milk chocolate, dark chocolate (Ahan So many options!!!)
VERSION 2: Glazed in sugar syrup
For this version, put some sugar in a pan and caramelize it on a low flame.
Keep a bowl full of icy chilled water aside. Dip those toffees in this sugar syrup and instantly put them in icy water. The flame should be kept at low for the entire process. Repeat this for rest of the toffees. This process should be instantly done.
FINAL IMAGES!!!
![]() |
| My maatu liked the chocolate glazed and my father loved the sugar glazed. |
Also Subscribe and Follow my blog. Let's share millennial struggles and celebrate them together!!!
That's it for this post. Signing Off.
Bhawna Jha












Comments
Post a Comment